Of greatest importance

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Every now and then I have a day that feels really productive,
a day when I know I got a lot of things done,
a day when I ticked many boxes on the to do list.
It feels good.

[✓] Check social media
[✓] Analyse overnight sport results
[✓] Consume breakfast
[✓] Review electronic mail
[✓] Respond to short message service communications
[✓] Grab a chai (*insert your beverage of choice here)
[✓] Check social media
[✓] Succumb to YouTube related videos
[✓] Pay some bills
[✓] Break for lunch
[✓] Check social media
... you get the idea.

Production without priorities;
practical not purposeful.

It's easy to convince yourself that you're getting things done. What I've been reading recently has challenged all that. What's Best Next by Matt Perman is about equipping people to lead, create, and get things done.



Many of us wrestle with priorities in productivity, as Matt puts it, "more important than efficiency is effectiveness – getting the right things done" (p.43)

Our culture is more interested in efficiency but I want to be more concerned with artistry.
Our culture is more interested in key performance indicators but I want to be more concerned with key people investment.
Our culture is more interested in getting things done than getting the right things done.

Jonathan Edwards is no modern day life coach, but he knew all about this...
Reading his resolutions is challenging and humbling.

Here was a man compelled by a belief that he had found the ultimate thing:
"Resolved, to live with all my might, while I do live." (#6)

A man who knew, that in order to do this, he had to make the most of every moment:
"Resolved, never to lose one moment of time; but improve it the most profitable way I possibly can." (#5)

I want to feel good at the end of a day
but not just because I completed a to-do list
or made myself look busy;
not just because I completed any old project
or made myself look good.


I want the deep satisfaction of doing what I love,
                                                                  what I value,
                                                                  what I hold of greatest importance.

Classic first day of school photo
Yesterday I started a new job, in a new place and it's exciting to think of what is in store; the opportunity to do what I love, value and hold of greatest importance.

I am learning what those things are, are you?
I want the experience of going further,
                                                       reaching higher,
                                                                        digging deeper.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

Like us on Facebook

Instagram Feed